Severn House Condominiums
Severn House is a beautifully landscaped, financially sound waterfront private condominium community located on the shoreline of Back Creek on Fairview Avenue in the Eastport neighborhood of Annapolis, MD.
- Waterfront swimming pool with a large patio, deck, views of the marina, and WiFi
- Small craft launch for kayaks, canoes, and paddleboards
- Marina with easy access to the gas dock and the Chesapeake Bay
- Bubbler system to prevent freezing
- Woodshop with professional-grade tools
- Mature canopy trees and native gardens
The ownership of the Severn House property has been traced as far back as 1851.
At that time, the property was purchased by Jacob Winchester from “the widow Margaret Duval” and a man named Jacob Watkins. These were two plots of about two hundred acres each for which Mr. Winchester paid the sum of $2,000.00. In 1859, Winchester sold the property to William J. Prentz for five dollars and other prime considerations. Prenz then sold the property to Mr. Henry Lockwood, Esq. after having divided it into two plots, the one sold to Lockwood being approximately the size of the property today. The price to Lockwood was $8,000.00.
Lockwood to William Burns (1894), Burns to Theo. S. Corner (1909), Corner to William W. Field (1916), Field to William Finkbein (1919), Finkbein to A.D. Edwards (1924), Edwards to Henry Plander (1939), Plander to Henry Osborne (1943), Osborne to Dallas Grady (1949). Grady owned the property only three months, and in a trade of land, it went to Bertram Spriggs, the Annapolis car dealer, in June of 1949.
Mr. Spriggs stated that when he acquired the property, it was wooded with a large stately mansion, a guest house, and assorted outbuildings. Contrary to popular belief, according to Mr. Spriggs’s earliest recollection, it was not a farm. He built a boat house, which has since been replaced by “D” dock.
Some of the trees which grace the grounds today have been on the property as far back as anyone can remember. When Severn House was built, as many old trees were preserved as possible.
Severn House Associates acquired the land in 1963 to build an apartment complex. There are 201 residences in our complex, not including the ten townhouses. The first units, buildings 1, 2, and 3, began in 1965. Buildings 4, 5, 6, and 7 were begun in 1967, and buildings 8, 9, and 10 in 1969. The townhouses were built in 1974.
Severn House was converted into a condominium in 1980.
The architect for Severn House, Cohen, and Hoft of Silver Spring, Maryland, considers it one of their finest achievements.